Restlessness, palpitation, cardiac pain, exhaustion without cause, irritation by loud noises, haemoglobin deficiency, roughness and dryness of skin.
- Muscle (mamsa) - cracking joints, eye
- Fat (medas) - lassitude, overly thin constitution, exhaustion, falling hair, nails, teeth, loose joints
- Bone (asthi) - thinness, weakness, bone, lightness, Vayu bone diseases weakness, and dry mouth
- Marrow (majja) - pallor, lassitude
- Reproductive - exertion, impotence, non-ejaculation of semen
- Essence (ukra)
- Rasa (fluid) Dhatu -Derived from the digested food, it nourishes each and every tissue and cell of the body and is analogous to the plasma.
- Rakta (blood) Dhatu - Regarded as the basic of life, it is analogous to the circulating blood cells. It not only nourishes the body tissues, but provides physical strength and colour to the body.
- Masma Dhatu - The muscle tissue, its main function is to provide physical strength and support for the meda dhatu.
- Meda (fat) Dhatu - Consists of adipose tissue providing support to ashti dhatu. It also lubricates the body.
- Ashti Dhatu - Comprising of bone tissues, including cartilages, its main function is to give support to the majja dhatu and provide support to the masma dhatu.
- Majja Dhatu - Denoting the yellow and red bone marrow tissue, its main function is to fill up the ashti and to oleate the body.
- Shukra Dhatu - The main aim of this reproductive tissue is to help reproduction and strengthen the body.
- Blood (rakta) - cracks, loss of luster, emaciation (especially of buttocks, neck and abdomen)
Table 1: Dhatus. The information presented here is derived from Principles of Pharmacology in Ayurved by Dr. Kulkarni.
|Indian Name||Modern Translation of Meaning||Indications of Favorable Condition|
|Rasa||nutrient portion of the blood||good skin quality, vitality|
|Rakta||blood (e.g., blood cells)||good coloration of the cheeks, lips, ear lobes, tongue, tip of nose; warm palms and soles|
|Mamsa||muscles and soft tissues||muscles of chest, arms, and legs are strong; facial muscles yield good expression and eye movements, speech is clear|
|Medas||lipids (fats, membranes)||proper moisture of skin, eyes, lips, and hair; normal sweating without bad odor; no excessive accumulation of fat in the area of abdomen, hips, back, and neck|
|Asthi||bones, cartilage||well-proportioned body, strong teeth and nails, thick hair; joints are supple and freely mobile|
|Majja||marrow||glowing face, healthy skin, soft voice|
|Shukra||vital fluid, semen||eyes are bright, teeth are white, skin is soft, voice is pleasant, sexual vitality is strong but controlled|